Saturday, December 4, 2010

Getting out of here!

In my cherished role as a Food and Beverage Attendant on Hamilton Island, I have learnt many new things:

How to tend bar.
How to interact with possum.
How to fight possum.
How to throw possum.
Waiters love your trash and will always thank you for giving it to them.
How to adhere to a contract and not get fired.
How to get fired (I wasn't fired, a bunch of others were!).
Nipple piercing doesn't hurt as much as many people say it does.
Mom actually does know best.
Dad provides useful input too.
How to carry three plates of food on one arm.
How to talk about different wines (mostly just comparing them to other wines).
Ingrown toe nails hurt, but the surgery is very interesting to watch.
Live your life without cognitive dissonance and you can cut out a lot of stress.
I have no idea of how to draw a frangepani.
Although you may not have remembered to share your address with family, they still find you (Thanks so much for the christmas card Grandpa Tom!).

But still, the island has grown stale and in a weeks time, I will be further south in Australia and will be looking for more jobs there while I spend three weeks with my lovely girlfriend Courtney who will be coming down from dubai to see me!

If I dont find anything within those three weeks, I will hop back on a plane when Courtney leaves and come back to the island in search of a different type of job. I will be handing out my CV to a bunch of places, and in specific, the water sports center in hope of becoming a wakeboard instructor for the hordes of Japanese tourists that will be arriving in this summer (your winter).

I went out diving last week or the week before and was at two spots on the great barrier reef. Absolutely stunning scenery. I saw a lot of my favorite fish, the parrot fish, a shark, a stingray, crabs, a meter long sea slug, a coral trout, an octopus, a massive pufferfish and a remora cleaning fish which was firmly at my side for the duration of one whole dive.

The weather has been pretty bleak for about a month but now it has cleared up and everything is sunny and beautiful and lovely.

Thanks for the mail Mom, Dad and Hunter. And thank you very much as well Grandpa for sending me my first Christmas card of the year! I would send you a letter back but I am useless at using snail mail. And I don't know your address.

ACTUALLY!
everyone, send me your home addresses so I can learn how to use snail mail and send you some christmas pictures and letters!


I miss you all and hope that your winter months are as enjoyable as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment